Pages

Monday 7 July 2014

DIY: Clean your silver jewelry




It is coming up to my graduation, and my jewelry is in serious need of some TLC. I wear my jewelry everyday, and sometimes I can't be bothered to take them off when I'm having a shower. So naturally the silver loses its shine and some bits might turn brassy. All you need is:
  1. A small piece of foil
  2. Baking powder 
  3. Hot, just boiled water. (You only need a small amount, so to be energy efficient and use the rest for a hot drink)
  4. A container (A ramekin, a tiny bowl, a lunch box)
Get your dish and line it with foil. Gather all your shiny sterling silver jewelry, and sprinkle over baking powder, using enough to cover it. Then get your hot water and pour it over the baking powder. You'll notice the powder starts to bubble and froth. Your jewelry should be super shiny once the baking powder stops frothing. Be careful not to burn your fingers when you pour out the water, and be careful not to lose your jewelry down the sink! Rinse it with cold water and pat dry. 

If your jewelry is turning brassy-looking in some places, you'll need to get a silver cleaning cloth and rub it away. You can buy these from eBay for really cheap!

Jenny xo

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I read each and every one of them and try to reply as fast as I can.